Built in 1913 in the style of a Bernese country estate, Jacobs Haus is home to the Jacobs Foundation and the Johann Jacobs Museum.
In 1984, our founder Klaus J. Jacobs opened the Jacobs Suchard Museum at Jacobs Haus, documenting the history of the Jacobs coffee empire, which was started in Bremen in 1895.
After Jacobs established the Jacobs Foundation in 1989, and Jacobs Suchard was sold to Philip Morris in 1990, the museum’s holdings were transferred to the Jacobs Foundation and the property became the Foundation’s headquarters. The museum was then renamed the Johann Jacobs Museum in honor of the company’s founder. In 2013, after a two-year renovation programme by the architectural firm Miller & Maranta, Jacobs Haus opened its doors as a place for creative learning and dialogue and the museum shifted its focus to the history of global trade routes.
In 2023, the museum reinvented itself as the Digital Museum of Learning, with a focus on learning and education through digital exhibitions that aim to take children and teachers alike on an exciting journey through the history and future of learning.