Das Jacobs Haus
The Jacobs Haus at Seefeldquai in Zurich is the headquarters of the Jacobs Foundation and the site of the Johann Jacobs Museum. This grand villa, which affords a beautiful view of the lakeside esplanade and of the Zurich Lake, was built in 1913 by Otto Honegger for the Zurich engineer and politician Dr. Fritz Ernst and was intended as a residence suited to his status. With his use of gray-green sandstone from Ostermündigen and a broad roof, Honegger gave this clearly structured house the characteristics of a Bernese country seat.
On November 27, 1984, Klaus J. Jacobs opened a museum in this house, named the “Jacobs Suchard Museum.” In 1989, the Jacobs Foundation was established with the goal to make a visible contribution to the well-being and social productivity of present and future generations.
After the sale of Jacobs Suchard to Philipp Morris in 1990, the Museum’s collection was transferred to the Jacobs Foundation. In consequence, the Museum was renamed the Johann Jacobs Museum.
In order to make the Jacobs Haus better suited for public events in future, the renowned architects Miller & Maranta were in 2011 given the task of a gentle renovation of the villa. At the same time, it was decided to break new ground with the Johann Jacobs Museum’s overall concept.
In 2013, one hundred years after it was built, the Jacobs Haus opened its doors once again, with the goal of establishing itself as a lively place for creative learning and for inspired discourse.